Local Artists, Entertainment Venues & Festivals
Brevard and Transylvania County
Western North Carolina is noted for its local arts & crafts, unique entertainment venues and many annual festival events. Brevard and the surrounding region live up to that reputation with a surprising arts and entertainment scene. Here are just some of the many happenings available to Connestee Falls residents.
Fine Arts & Crafts
Brevard is known for its excellent local artisans. There are galleries and shops down town and around town. Take Highway 276 south out of Brevard and follow the Scenic 276 Fine Arts & Crafts Corridor, a 13-mile stretch ending at the NC/SC line. It meanders through the mountains on a route showcasing art galleries, working and teaching studios, shops, charming lodgings, home-style dining and fresh local produce.
Theater, Entertainment & Festivals
The theatrical scene is strong in the region.
- It starts right at home in Connestee Falls where the resident
Connestee Amateur Theater Society presents two major productions annually at the theater in the clubhouse. Performances are open to the public.
Brevard Little Theater, the official Community Theater of Transylvania County, NC, features a full schedule of performances annually.
Flat Rock Playhouse, in the neighboring town of Hendersonville, is The State Theatre of N.C. A variety of performances are staged throughout the year at the Main Stage and in the Playhouse Downtown.
- The region also has smaller venues, touring performance groups and even a professional puppet company.
There are a variety of entertainment venues and festivals that make for fun, interesting and entertaining things to do year-round in Brevard and the surrounding region.
Transylvania Heritage Museum in Brevard is open Wednesday – Sunday from March through December. The museum lives up to its name with interesting exhibits, artifacts, art and history on region.
Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute (PARI) is a fun and entertaining learning experience. PARI is actually an astronomical observatory located at an elevation of 3,000 feet in the Pisgah National Forest. It's open to the public for tours and special program events.
- The Co-Ed Cinema brings Hollywood feature films and art movies to the historic movie theater in downtown Brevard.
Porter Center for Performing Arts at Brevard College has a full calendar of events featuring a wide variety of entertainment, concerts and events. The line up includes everything from student performances to national touring acts.
- Festivals are scheduled throughout the year in Brevard and Transylvania County. Two showcase events bookend the peak festival season. The annual White Squire Festival that draws thousands to downtown over the Memorial Day weekend. The free event, voted
Best Spring Music Fest in N.C., features top national musical acts, art, food and more. September features the top names in bluegrass and mountain music at the
Mountain Song Festival at the Brevard Music Center, Whittington-Pfohl Auditorium.
- Other fun Brevard events include Brevardi Gras, Branff International Film Festival and Downtown July 4th Celebration.
Visit these websites to learn more about The Arts around Connestee Falls: